*I am back from a well deserved break. This is the first post of the year and I hope you will enjoy reading posts being published here as much as I enjoy penning them. With that I would like to wish you a very happy 2012!
The stampede that broke out of at the University of Johannesburg (UJ) last month was saddening and sent shock waves on social media websites. What is more saddening is that a mother of a prospective student died on the scene.
It raises questions as to why this must happens because ideally prospective students are given a maximum of seven months to lodge their applications. Students applications open on the 1st of March to 31st October for most universities.
Some may argue that the stampede was unnecessary and may also put a blame on the institution. In my opinion, I think that if we put a blame on the institution then we must all accept liabilities. A responsible citizen of a nation like South Africa must take a duty of responsibility to educate every learner who seems to be less informed about such matters.
This shocking event can be attributed to number of factors such as late application, lack of career guidance and lack of general information regarding tertiary studies.
As I would like to believe that it is also my duty to educate scholars on this matter. below I offer an account of possible solutions that can be used to combat this fateful act in the future.
- More University should be built. In his medium term budget vote, The minister of Higher Education, Mr Blade Nzimande revealed that two universities in Mpumalanga and the Northern Cape are in the pipeline.
- Career Counselling must be strengthened in the Life orienation curriculum from as early as in Grade 9 and as such this part of the curriculum must be examined until Grade 12.
- Parents must encourage their children to apply timeously.
- Prospective Students must attend University career days to explore different study courses.
- The call made by the Minister that a Central Applications Office be implemented is another option.
Lesson for high scholars is this “Apply timeously so that you dot end up stampeding at centre of higher learning come January”. More advise for high scholars, please ensure that you seek more information pertaining to your career path as soon as yesterday.
NB: You can send topic suggestions to email@example.com.